Starting with Me: Knowing Myself Before Finding a Partner
9 Transformative Steps Based on the Baha’i Faith’s Teachings About Relationships and Marriage
By the time you’re in a relationship or marriage, it’s too late to prepare yourself!
Learn the Steps to Get Yourself Ready for Marriage Before You Start a Relationship
It’s time to stop “trial and error” and hoping for good luck. Take charge of your life today!
Whatever your age or life circumstances, Starting with Me helps you prepare yourself for marriage and lay a solid foundation for your future. It offers:
- Uncommon wisdom from the Bahá’í teachings (that can help everyone, whatever your beliefs),
- Time-tested guidance from relationship and character specialists,
- Insights from everyday people on this journey
- Transformative questions and exercises
Starting with Me will empower you to:
- Live a full and happy life that includes service to others
- Learn from past relationships, and move forward
- Conquer your fears and doubts, and avoid those nasty pitfalls
- Know yourself and your character—and be able to check out a potential partner’s character
- Create realistic expectations and wishes for a partner
- Form friendships that may later become a great match!
While you’ll start with yourself, we give you plenty of ideas for involving others on your journey, and Starting with Me also lends itself to group study. Whether you’re excited, nervous, doubtful, or optimistic, take a deep breath and smile, for help and hope are at hand! One reader shared:
“The unique ideas in each chapter, and the profound quotations from the Bahá’í writings opened my eyes to new and helpful ways of viewing marriage. The benefit I got from Starting with Me really skyrocketed when I began to complete the exercises that help us tailor the concepts to our lives.”
Susanne M. Alexander is a Relationship and Marriage Educator and Coach, author, and character specialist, as well as the President of Marriage Transformation®. She is married and is a parent and stepparent.
Johanna Merritt Wu, PhD., is an organizational psychologist for corporations, non-profits, and start-ups. She is married, a parent, a youth group leader, and co-author of Marriage Can Be Forever—Preparation Counts! with Susanne.
Jeremy Lambshead is a writer, editor, and teacher who collaborates with youth and adults to release potential and build community—and who loves to make music and poems in the process.
Publication Date: July 2018
Publisher: Marriage Transformation
Number of Pages: Approx. 200 (includes PrepSheets)
Size: 8.5 in x 11 in